Prevent Blindness America is encouraging everyone to enjoy spending their 4th of July holiday having fun with their family and friends instead of in the emergency room! Every year, thousands of Americans end up in emergency rooms with injuries from fireworks, bottle rockets, and sparklers. Of these almost 20% have eye injuries with some of those causing permanent blindness in one or both eyes! Most of these things are illegal (yes, even sparklers) in most of the cities in Colorado anyway, but if you are going to create your own spectacle we ask you to be cautious! We want those eyes of yours to be seeing well for years and years to come! If an accident does occur, Prevent Blindness America has passed along some tips:
If there are specks in the eye,
• DO NOT rub the eye.
• Use an eye wash or let tears wash out specks or particles;
• Lift the upper eyelid outward and down over the lower lid;
• If the speck doesn’t wash out, keep the eye closed, bandage and see a doctor or go to the emergency room.
If the eye or eyelid is cut or punctured,
• DO NOT wash out the eye with water.
• DO NOT try to remove an object stuck in the eye.
• Cover the eye with a rigid shield without pressure. The bottom half of a paper cup may be used. See a doctor or go to the emergency room immediately
Have a safe, relaxing, and FUN 4th of July weekend! The store will be closed on Monday the 4th, but we will return on Tuesday at 9 am.